Thursday 19 June 2014

Traditional Baby Blanket with Contemporary Colours

Hi
 
As promised pictures of the new baby blanket, I really love it, although it will be a one off as using 4ply for this blanket has taken an age! The colours are a complete departure for me, I'm very much a pastel, calm colours girl, but I have to say I have really enjoyed using the colours, so much so that I have done a few other projects using the left-overs :)
 
These are the granny squares which start with a yellow centre and then a creamy white round which sort of makes a daisy pattern again then the solid bright colours and I have joined as you go with white.  The wool is a microfiber acrylic from the Women's Institute range.  The blanket has been finished with an extra row of granny stitch and then a scalloped edge
Ta Da! Here it is, I used some plain squares in the block colours as I think this makes the "daisies" stand out more.  This is the perfect size for pram, pushchair or crib and it has used 30 squares.
 
I too have caught up in the Mandala craze at the moment, and I love doing them, I have them in all sorts of colours all over the home! These are some I made up with the left over wool from the blanket and they have come out very "Cath Kidston" style, I made the 4 coasters and teapot stand in no time they are so easy to do and very relaxing somehow.
 
Here they are in my kitchen with my retro style mugs from the afore mentioned designer and the Stanley cruet set my hubby bought me for Christmas I just love them, I don't use my Stanley's they sit looking at me on the shelf in the kitchen surrounded by my mugs and coasters!
 
Whilst on Pinterest searching for new ideas I came across a photo of a little bird house and hanging flowers and thought it was so charming I would give it a go as a wall hanging in the Grand Kids play room, again with a little left over wool, its amazing how far these balls of yarn will go!
The little bird needs a little bit of work, but I will definitely do one of these again so much fun :)
 
These are my very precious cheeky chaps who now have this on their playroom wall
 
In my garden my lilies have come into bloom and this year have done me proud, last year it managed to produce 2 flowers very beautiful but not enough! This year a magical 14 blooms so far and it looks like more are coming through

The past few weeks have been quite a stressful time with my other very precious little life, my Foxy, she's had to have a big operation this week and we have had a bit of game getting the wound to heal, so I took myself off to the charity shop and spent a whopping £1.25 on a baby grow! Oh its been the best £1.25 I've ever spent, I cut the arms and legs off and its been perfect to keep the wound covered and glad to say its healed and we are on the mend, thank goodness! But my hubby has been calling her "Baby Oleg" from the Meerkat adverts and I have to say she does bare a very good likeness ha ha!
 
 
Have a great week xx


No comments:

Post a Comment